Following the Divine Pattern

     Lately, I've struggled with restlessness and boredom.  My mom and sisters are visiting family, and, with my dad at work, I spend most of my day alone at home.  I've been searching for employment for weeks now, and spending this time alone has given me new insight into why I need to find work. Partly, I just need to earn money.  But more importantly, I need to work.  I need to create value.  Work is essential to my well-being and life with God.  When I feel bored, I am much more prone to sin, and I find it harder to walk with God.  In contrast, when I have something productive to do, whether it is writing, playing guitar, or doing housework, I connect with God more naturally.
   Another related aspect of my day that I've been reflecting on is that of routine.  Having a set routine gives me peace and provides a stable framework for my relationship with God.  Without a routine, I find that it is easier to succumb to sinful desires, because having an irregular schedule leaves openings for restlessness and temptation to slip through.  
     This need for work and routine has been recognized throughout Christian history, most prominently by monastic movements.  In his book Water From A Deep Well, Dr. Gerald Sittser writes that, "Monasteries sanctify time, as if to show that all time belongs to God and our use of time finds meaning only if we do our tasks, both religious and secular, to honor and serve God.  Monastic rhythm strikes a balance between two activities--prayer and work--which constitute the basic purpose for which humans were created." (Pg. 92)
     The human need for work and routine ultimately stems from our creation in the image of God.  When God created the world (work) in ordered stages over a week (routine), he set the pattern for his creation to follow.  We will never be satisfied until we follow this pattern.
      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's in a Name?

You Don't Have to Defend Yourself